June 04, 2010

Radio spots and Letterboxing

My day started by doing some recording at a studio for some informational spots to be played through Kroger in-store radio.  What I said will be turned into 30 second "info-mercials" on basic dog care and training.  So if you are in an area that has Kroger stores, you might hear my voice from above :-) Dazzle went in the studio with me, but had to wait in a nearby room with one of the techs because he was breathing too loud :-)
.
Then Dazzle and I worked on his Letterboxing badge for the rest of the afternoon. He borrowed his brother's backpack (he doesn't have that many badges- yet!) because carrying his own supplies is part of the badge. I chose "drive-up" boxes (half mile of walking or less) to minimize the walking I needed to do, but I was glad I had my brace on for the ones that involved going up/down short hills. 
.
Most of the ones found today were in the huge 773 acre Spring Grove cemetery in Cincinnati that is very old and has some VERY elaborate markers and mausoleums. I got lost more than once trying to drive from one location to the next!  The first enterment there was in 1845.  It was also estabilshed as an arboretum and has several of the largest recorded trees of various species found in Ohio and/or the U.S.  While following the clues, I enjoyed seeing some of the Champion trees and elaborate designs of grave markers. But several of the biggest trees got damaged in a wind storm caused by hurricane Ike in September of 08, losing their tops or big branches.  Some had to be cut down to stumps, very sad to lose magnificent trees of that size. 
.
We found 12 out of 15 letterboxes today, so not a bad day! But I did realize when I went to log my finds that I used the wrong date every time I stamped into a box- oops! That's what I get for not checking the date on my new watch. I was only off by a day. :-)
.
We almost got locked in the cemetery though due to "one-more-itis!" As I was on my way to the exit gate at closing time, I saw a marker that I knew one of the clues mentioned.  The clues were pretty straight forward, so I went for it.  As I drove toward the exit gate (I could see it from a little ways off) I saw the guard closing the last of the gates!  I sped up and thankfully he opened the gate for us!  Whew!  These are very substantial gates bordered by huge stone structures and tall wrought iron fence so I'm not sure how the person that drove by me the other way as I was finishing with the last letterbox got out.
.
 If you don't know what Letterboxing is, check out www.Atlasquest.com
.
A really beautiful marker: