March 27, 2010

Another leg

.
Today we were at a C-wags show and got a leg towards a level 2 title and a second place ribbon.  Dazzle was really distracted, but I think it was because the place was dead quiet, even though there were several people in the room.  All dogs were in crates, mostly in people's cars and no one was talking during the performances.  I think that threw him a bit.  "Why are all these people just staring without any other noise?"  The click of the photgrapher's camera, the jingle of the next dog's tags and the opening of the door all seemed VERY loud and grabbed his attention (& mine).  The idea was to minimize distractions, but I think the silence had the opposite effect for him.  We squeaked by, but he held his honor stay, which is an improvement!  He also NAILED the moving stand and stand stay for exam.  Even the judge commented that his stand is really nice.  He was already standing when I cued him to "stand" and he adjusted himself in a way that was clear he understood the cue.  It was as if he did started to respond to the cue and then realized he already WAS standing :-)  The pro photographer got some REALLY cool photos, but they are expensive. I can only afford to get 3 and I'm having a hard time choosing. Then I have to wait for them to get mailed.  I'll post them when they arrive.
.
I feel like I really need to go back to basics on obedience with him and do less "free throws" and require him to do more work for every toy throw or tug session.  It's so hard when asking him to give up his toy is punishing but he isn't very motivated by food (won't give up a toy to get any food). He will respond to cues for certain foods, but it has no enthusiasm or drive like he has when toys are involved. I also think I need to do a bunch of show n go's so I can take a toy into the ring and surprise him with it.
.
Last night we went to an Agility run through and he did really well!  No focus problems, no problem with the triple bar jump he has never seen.  He was really listening and focused on his job and working well.  But he knew I had a toy. 
.