September 10, 2009

Parade

This evening we participated in a large parade as a member of the training club's group. I don't know how many people/dogs we ended up with, but I know there were over 17 dogs, which is what I counted at one point while waiting.  The above photo was taken while we waited about an hour for the parade to get to our group's start.  As you can see, I didn't walk.  I'm SO glad I brought the bike because from the car, to the meet-up spot, then the whole parade and getting back to the car was quite the trip.  Dazzle was confused about why he was hooked to the bike but we just waited and waited, but he enjoyed schmoozing with the other dogs and people there.
.
When we actually got to move, it was slow going, but I did very little peddling. Actually my hand is sore from having to keep the brake applied!  He was glad when we got to the end and was able to move out in a nice trot to get back to the van before it got completely dark :-) The participation and turn out for this parade is amazing!  I had heard of it, but didn't realize it was so big!  The parade started at 6pm and our group (in Division 8) didn't start till after 7:30! And the crowds you see below were typical along the whole route- several people deep.
.