March 22, 2009

Our weekend

Read about Dazzle's water adventures below the tracking info...
.
This weekend I got up before dawn (I know, WHAT was I thinking!) to help with a tracking test near Dayton. It was only in the 50's by the time I left yesterday and was much colder at dawn when I arrived. On Saturday, we plotted out where the tracks would be laid and then we were free to go. I was a "cross track" layer for the 1st TDX track, so I was done pretty early. For some reason I was expecting low grassy fields or maybe plowed fields for the tracks. Not for the TDX apparently! We were walking through areas 99% of people would not try to walk! There were dense and thick, waist high weeds (some 1/4" to 1/2" diameter stalks) that liked to grab your feet, scrub brush and thorn bushes that liked to grab your clothes, all between scrub cedar, pine and a few coniferous trees. Had I known, I doubt I would have volunteered. I was SO sore after one track that I had trouble walking today. I don't know HOW the judges walked ALL the tracks on both days! Each was about 1/4 mile through that mess. As I was driving home, I realized I should have gotten a photo of it so everyone could see just what I was talking about, but I didn't think of that when I was there.
.
Sunday morning (today) came much too early and painfully, but I had committed myself and I knew that today's walk was much shorter. So I was up before dawn again to head back up there. I didn't need to walk the whole track, just cross it twice (along with another person) in the places designated by the judges (and by flags, which we removed as we passed them.) I had to stop a few times (but not near the track) to rest my legs. I was SO happy for the tramped down deer track we were able to follow for part of the way!
.
It was really hard on me, but I'm glad I did it! I learned a lot about tracking from the people there and saw what Dazzle and I could be facing if we choose to do a TDX. I think we'll shoot for a VST instead though :-) I heard those are usually on a bit easier terrain (but includes solid surfaces, which don't hold scent very well.) One tidbit of info I found to be interesting: One person there said they were having a debate (in the recent past) about double walking the practice tracks (meaning you walk one direction, then re-trace your steps to get back to the start) versus only going one direction away from the start and circling back well away from (and down wind of) the track to get back to the start. They laid one long track in a single direction. They brought several dogs up to that track from the side (90 degree angle) to see which way they would choose to go. The dogs that only practiced on the tracks laid in one direction went to the "hotter" scent (the direction the person walked.) The dogs trained on double practice tracks went the opposite direction (toward where the person started.) So I don't think I'll be re-walking my practice tracks! :-)
.
Unfortunately, none of the 7 dogs passed their tracks successfully. One handler missed the dogs cue regarding a dropped article and failed to pick it up (disqualification) while others took the wrong track (either deer trails, horse trails or in one case it was the cross track, but not mine.) So that was eye opening as well. None of the dogs (even the short corgi or the PBGV) had issues with the terrain though. I was VERY surpized no one passed, but I was told that's not uncommon because it's very hard for the dogs to stay on track that long. But neither of the 2 TD (beginner level) dogs passed either. There was a good mix of breeds represented: 2 Goldens, PBGV, Corgi, Bernese and 2 German Shepherds. I also met a nice Laekenois (sorry if I misspelled that) that was just visiting, not competing. They are very rare in the U.S. and they are the "curly coated" version of the Belgian Shepherd (Dazzle is the short haired version.)
.
After all the tracking was done, I got Dazzle out of the van and walked him to the small nearby pond. He was so determined to drag the huge tree branch out of the pond that he actually did his very first voluntary swimming today! He really had to work up the courage though because the entry into the pond was a sharp drop off to about chest deep water. He ran back and forth along the bank whimpering because he REALLY wanted that branch out of there for some reason, but it was out of his reach. On several attempts, he was balancing right on the very edge of the bank, just teetering there or reaching out with his paw into the water willing that thing to get closer to him. When it didn't, he took that first step and realized it wasn't too deep to stand and got his other front foot in (but it did drop away quickly to swimming depth.) Then he just pushed off the shore, swam out and got that big tree back to shore! I showered him with praise and he was VERY proud of himself! As soon as the tree was successfully rescued from the pond, he had no further interest in it. He immediately started looking for other stuff in the water to fetch, I tossed in a pine cone and he swam right out and got it. I did that twice more and then he was shivering so I made him come away from the water. I let him run around a bit to dry off some before putting him back in the van for the drive home.
.
Even though I was very sore, I decided to go for a ride with Dazzle. I figured I could at least sit on a bike so he could get out and stretch his legs a bit more. I had put my bike in the van just in case. He was stuck in the crate almost the whole time I was helping with the tracks both days and was SO good and patient I had to reward him. Plus, it was such a nice day I didn't want to go inside yet. :-) So after I pulled over and took a 15 minute nap on the drive home, we went to the park. When I saw how crowded the trail was, I drove to a usually quiet part of the park that has a small hill. I was planning to just toss his ball down the hill several times to wear him out. However, after a few tosses, we were innundated by a group of teens that were setting up to play soccer. Of course as soon as Dazzle saw the soccer ball, he was right over there meeting them on their way down the hill to the field below. Thankfully they didn't mind and had fun playing "keep away" with him. He had a blast running around them with his tennis ball in his mouth trying to get the soccer ball. At one point he stood directly between the two water bottles they were using as a goal and the kids got a big kick out of it. It looked like he had decided to play goalie! After a few minutes of that play, I decided we should move on and I went back to the bike trail with him.
.
It was a BEAUTIFUL day today and the park was VERY crowded, but he did great ignoring all the other bikes, roller bladers, strollers, people and dogs we passed (and we were almost constantly passing something or someone!)
.
At the mid way point, I stopped at the water for him to play again. He had a great time splashing around and there was quite an audience with so many people having the same idea for their dogs and kids. He got a 6 year old? to toss a stick for him multiple times. I was so proud of him because he wasn't taking it out of the kid's hand as soon as it was picked up, he waited patently for the kid to toss it and then went to get it and dropped it at his feet for another toss. Other kids were throwing rocks in the water and that was almost as much fun for him. He kept "diving" for them but because of the delay on my camera I only got one decent shot of his head in the water. He was dunking it completely though (past his ears) to snorkle! Definitely a "water dog!"
.
He didn't want to leave! He was shivering, but wouldn't come when I called him. He went trotting a little ways away to play with another kid that was skipping rocks, so I moved back behind the row of people and waited for him to realize I was "gone" (not where he left me.) When he did, he ran up and down the short rocky beach looking for me and then ran to the parked bike and I called him so he wouldn't run in front of any passing bikes. He was very relieved to "find" me and I gave him treats, but then he wanted to go back in! If I hadn't had his leash, I know he would have gone back in. But we completed the rest of the ride without incident.
.
Here's some photos:
.
Running though the water (Actually he tended to bound like a deer!)
Some of the kids that were tossing sticks and rocks for him (including water logged sticks that sank) :-)
Full speed past the kid that was tossing the stick the most (The water was COLD! but the kid's getting soaked didn't seem to mind):
ALMOST got the head dunk here (darn digital delay!):
Any fish in here?
.
"SHAKE!"
.
I'm SO bummed that the only blurry photo out of many was this one! I think it would have been such a nice photo...