February 24, 2009

Quick update

.
Yesterday, instead of attending the show prep class in the evening, Dazzle and I went to the training center when no one else was there. It was quite nice! We worked for about an hour total on several behaviors with LOTS of play time. I started working on putting the reward outside the ring, asking for short behaviors, then clicking and letting him run to get the reward (ball or tug toy.) I realized in working him that somehow eye contact has dissapeared from his heeling. So I started working on the eye contact game and then a few steps of heeling with eye contact to get his reward. I think it will come back pretty quickly.
.
I also pulled out the tunnel and he raced through it a few times, even in a U shape. I can't bend the tunnel I use at home because it's meant to be an upright tube used as a barrier for paint ball games. But it's VERY sturdy and the right size, so it has worked well so far to teach the tunnel behavior. I also pulled out the wobble board and had him walking across that to get his toy. The first time across he didn't expect it to move and did a flying leap off of it (It's only about 4" high.) But after that, he knew it would move and was fine.
.
Overall a great training session. I just wish the center was less than 30 minutes away! I mostly want to use it to practice the parts of a formal obedience routine and freestyle. I need the ring gates and open space for those things.
.
Tonight we have a C-wags class.