February 21, 2009

Is it Spring yet?

.
Today started in the low 40's really early this morning and then the temps took a nose dive. By the time I woke up, the yard was covered in white and great big snow flakes were falling.
.
I'm REALLY looking forward to spring, but I don't think Dazzle will be. He was just outside taking a nap stretched out in the snow! We have a dog door so he can be inside if he chooses. He was SO excited this morning when he saw snow outside that he went out and was running around the yard biting and barking at the big falling snow flakes while I was preparing the dog's meals. He came back in just as I was ready to set his bowl down :-)
.
He spent more time OUTSIDE today than inside. I think he shoved his big blue ball over every part of the yard. I knew he was still doing ok out there whenever I heard it hitting the house or door :-) He would come in from time to time (covered in snow) to thaw out (or check to see if I would go out with him) and then went right back out. I spent a lot of time today just watching him (from inside) and enjoying his antics and pure joy and fun out there.
.
The other dogs would go out now and then to join him and play, but they didn't want to stay out nearly as long as he did :-) I think he is really going to miss the cold. I can envision him spending a lot of time playing in the pool to stay cool during the warmer months that are hopefully coming soon!
.
He saw the neighbor outside today and boy oh boy does Dazzle have a deep, menacing bark! No idea what he would do if the neighbor came closer, but I have a feeling he would be defensive of the yard. It could be an issue in the summer when the neighbor teases the dog with his tractor as he mows the grass. Coyote and Buster both go ballistic at the fence and I often have to either call them in and block their access to the outside or make sure they hop in the pool to cool off so they don't overheat. It is the only thing that will stop coyote mid meal. If he hears that tractor, he will leave his food to go out and bark at it! For those that don't know him, that is unheard of for him! If Dazzle is out there with them, there could be some re-directed aggression. I have a feeling I'll have to do more management this summer.
.
On Thursday in class, a person in the next ring was tossing and squeaking a toy for her dog. Dazzle decided he wanted it and from a stand still, he popped right over the ring gate to go get it. Thankfully I held his leash so he didn't get far at all, and he hopped back over just as effortlessly when I called him. I don't let him jump if I can help it, but he sure has beautiful grace when he does jump! Hopefully he never learns to jump our 6' perimeter fence!
.