December 31, 2008

Still in the great white north


.
I'm feeling much better now, but I have no voice. I lost it three days ago and it's still not back yet. Very annoying!
.
The dogs are doing well and Dazzle is enjoying the snow. He keeps going to the back door and when I let him out, he turns around and looks at me like "aren't you coming?" Sometimes he goes out and races around the fenced area by himself, other times he just wants back in.
.
He's been going a bit stir crazy cooped up in the house while I've been sick, but tossing his ball to the top of the steps and having him run up and down them has been a life saver. Dad took him out yesterday and played fetch in the fenced area for awhile till his hands got cold. Even Bear got in on it and was racing around the yard and trying to get the toy. He did manage to get it once and played keep-away from Dazzle for a bit before he got it back. Then the tables were turned and Dazzle spun in a circle to play keep-away from Bear. It was great to see the two of them out there racing around having so much fun.
.
Coyote watched them from inside, with me, but didn't want to join in. I'm having to put him and Dazzle outside separately because Dazzle wants to bark right in Coyote's face. Coyote is tollerating it, but I don't want to push my luck. Coyote does NOT find it nearly as much fun as Dazzle and has started to not want to go outside if Dazzle is out there. Hence, the separate times outside (especially since I can't stop them with my currently non-existant voice.) They did get into a fight over this a few days ago and Coyote got a cut under his eye and Dazzle got a small puncture in his nose. Not sure how (or if) this will carry over once we are back home and they have access to a dog door again.
.
We haven't been doing much training. I figure it's Dazzle's vacation too :-) In the few sessions I've done with him, he's still doing great so I'm not worried he will lose anything. But I do plan to enter the Show n' Go at Kuliga scheduled for the day after we get back home. I have been working on teaching him the "Crate Games" on the video done at "Say Yes Dog Training." I'm drawing a blank on the instructor's name though.
.
We started with his wire crate and have now progressed to his tent-like folding crate. It's super light weight and large enough for him to be comfortable. But he could get out of it in an instant if he really wanted to. Hence, the training to help him LOVE the crate and want to stay in it. :-) So far, it's been going well and he stayed in the open crate all through dinner last night (treats getting tossed in from time to time.) This morning, I had a hard time getting him OUT of the crate when I was done training, so I think that's a good problem to have.
.
Here's a few photos that were taken by Chad (or was it Sarah?) last month when I stopped by to see them on my way to NY.
.
One of the best trotting photos I have of him.
Recall and a Wha hoo!
Or maybe this is his flying reindeer imitation? LOL
Normally he does this closer to the height of my shoulder!
.
Speaking of jumping, he learned today to jump a baby gate. NOT what I really wanted him to learn. :-(